Cornelia Kleinitz is an archaeologist and historian with special interests in Africa’s past and present, rock art and graffiti, theory in archaeology, the politics of heritage and identity, and open access initiatives and the application of digital documentation techniques in the humanities, such as Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI). She holds a Magister degree in (Ancient) History from Freie Universität Berlin, and Master’s and PhD degrees in Archaeology from University College London (UCL). She held post-doctoral positions at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin and at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, where she is now a lecturer at the Department of Egyptology and Northeast African Archaeology. Since 2015 she has held a fellowship at the Rock Art Research Institute (RARI), University of the Witwatersrand, in Johannesburg, South Africa, where she is finding time to write up her research on the politics of archaeological salvage, on rock art in Mali and Sudan, and on the graffiti of Musawwarat es Sufra (Sudan).
In Topoi I she was involved in the Cross Sectional Group (E-CSG-V) Space and Collective Identities. In Topoi II, Cornelia Kleinitz is part of the junior research group “Space and Knowledge Related Identification” within the research group (B-4) Space – Identity – Locality. Since 2012 she is also part of the research project “Archaeotopia” within the research group (C-3) Fragments, Ruins and Space: the Perception and Representation of Ancient Spaces in Modern Contexts .
- 28.10.2016TalkPart of: Signs of Place: A Visual Interpretation of LandscapeSpeaker
- 3.6.2016TalkPart of: Übersetzen in Altertum und Altertumswissenschaften – Methoden, Praktiken, PhänomeneSpeaker
- 19.6.2015TalkRepresenting the heritages of Mograt Island: a reflection on identification processes among archaeological and local communities in SudanPart of: Ancient Identities and Modern Identification: Space, Knowledge and RepresentationSpeaker
- 22.10.2012TalkPart of: Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI)Speaker
- 7.7.2012TalkPart of: Global heritage – worlds apart: The cultural production, appropriation and consumption of archaeological heritage spacesSpeaker
- 6.7.2012TalkPart of: Global heritage – worlds apart: The cultural production, appropriation and consumption of archaeological heritage spacesSpeaker
- 6.7.2012 - 7.7.2012ConferenceGlobal heritage – worlds apart: The cultural production, appropriation and consumption of archaeological heritage spacesOrganiser
- TalkPart of: Workshop: Between Memory Sites and Memory NetworksSpeaker
- 23.5.2011 - 24.5.2011WorkshopSpeaker
- 17.2.2011TalkPart of: Second meeting of the CSG-V-think tankSpeaker
- TalkPart of: Archaeotopia: the Archaeological Site as Focus, Expression and Motor of Collective IdentitiesSpeaker
- 4.6.2010 - 5.6.2010WorkshopOrganiser, Speaker
- 1.12.2009TalkPart of: CSG V - Forum "Space & Collective Identities"Speaker
- 13.11.2009TalkPart of: Digitale Dokumentationsmethoden in TopoiSpeaker