This workshop offers an introductory overview of the linguistically oriented Conceptual Metaphor/Metonymy Theory (CMT).
Participants are requested to give a short, noncommittal notice to:
- Notions and definitions of the CMT: “Metaphor”, “Metonymy”, …
- Metaphors/metonymies: “novel and historical”, “sleeping and waking”
- Metaphors/metonymies in non-linguistic media: images (and gestures)
- “Metaphor in Discourse” — metaphor use in texts
- Metaphorical “Blending Theory”
- Conceptual metaphors and cognition: (motivation), (hierarchies), universality vs. culture-specificity