Joanne Rowland’s research interests lie predominantly in the archaeology of the Nile Delta and in prehistoric Egypt. She graduated from University College London with a PhD in Egyptian Archaeology in 2004, and having worked on a number of survey and excavation projects in the Nile Delta since 1998. In spring 2013 she started a prehistoric survey project (archaeological and environmental) in the region between Khatabah and Merimde Beni Salama (Egypt Exploration Society Imbaba Governate Prehistoric Survey), along the western edge of the Nile Delta. This project is related to her Topoi research project (A-2-4) The Neolithic in the Nile Delta.
From 2010-2016, Roanne Rowland held the position of Junior Professor in Egyptian Archaeology at the Freie Universitaet Berlin. She is director of two fieldwork projects in the Nile Delta, both under the auspices of the Egypt Exploration Society, the Imbaba Prehistoric Survey and the Minufiyeh Archaeological Survey. In 2016 she joined the School of History, Classics and Archaeology at the University of Edinburgh as Lecturer in Archaeology.
- 21.1.2016LectureThe exploitation of North African wild plants through an integrated functional analysis on stone toolsOrganiser
- 31.10.2015TalkNew perspectives and methods applied to the "known" settlement of Merimde Beni Salama, Western Nile DeltaPart of: Revolutions. The Neolithisation of the Mediterranean Basin: The Transition to food Producing Economies in North Africa and Southern EuropeSpeaker
- 29.10.2015 - 31.10.2015WorkshopRevolutions. The Neolithisation of the Mediterranean Basin: The Transition to food Producing Economies in North Africa and Southern EuropeOrganiser
- 16.5.2014TalkOn the road to food production in the Nile Delta: changes in subsistence in Lower Egypt, with emphasis on Merimde Beni SalamePart of: On the Road — Bioarchaeological and Cultural Scientific Aspects of Non-Sedentary CommunitiesSpeaker
- 7.11.2011 - 8.11.2011ConferenceChair
- 31.5.2010 - 1.6.2010ConferenceChair
Selected Research Projects
|2005-present||Minufiyeh Archaeological Survey||Field Director and project instigator/leader|
|1999-2006||The Egyptian Chronology, University of Oxford||Research Fellow|