Winfried Nöth is Professor emeritus of English Linguistics and Semiotics at Universität Kassel, Germany and of Professor Cognitive Semiotics at São Paulo Catholic University, Brazil.
After studying in Münster, Geneva, Lisbon and Bochum English, French and Portuguese, in 1971 he acquired his doctoral degrees at the Ruhr University Bochum. In Bochum he also habilitated in 1976, in 1978 he was appointed full professor in English Linguistics at the University of Kassel.
In 1985 Winfried Nöth was visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin–Green Bay in Green Bay, United States, and in 1994 at the Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo in Brazil. Since 1999 he is Director of the Scientific Centre for Cultural Research, University of Kassel and President of the German Society for Semiotics.
Since 2013 Winfried Nöth is member of research group (C-1) Deixis and Frames of Reference. During the winter semester 2014/15, he acted as a visting professor in the department of Archeology and Egyptology of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. His teaching program included a Module on Cultural Semiotics and one on the relationships between words and images as well on the pictorial worlds of Ancient Egypt.
- 26.7.2017TalkPart of: Pictures and Texts - Pictures as TextSpeaker
- 14.10.2014Lecture SeriesOrganiser, Speaker
- 13.10.2014ColloquiumPart of: Mapping ColloquiaSpeaker
- 8.5.2014TalkPart of: Peirce, Hieroglyphs, and MultimodalitySpeaker
- 14.6.2013LecturePart of: Ikonizität. Perspektiven der Semiotik und LinguistikSpeaker
- 14.6.2013 - 15.6.2013WorkshopSpeaker