Cilliers Breytenbach is professor for the literature, history and religion of Early Christianity at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. His research interests cover the interpretation of St. Mark’s Gospel, Graeco-Roman metaphors early Christians used to express their views on salvation, and the change in ancient Christian systems of belief, action and institutions since its Jewish origins. In the first funding phase of Topoi (Topoi 1) Cilliers Breytenbach was spokesperson of Area B, initiated the epigraphic database ICG (Inscriptiones Christianae Graecae) and investigated the religious definition of space and transfer of knowledge in ancient Lycaonian Christianity. Within research group (B-5) Personal Authorization of Knowledge he currently expands his research into the “Authorization of Early Christian Knowledge Claims in Asia Minor and Greece” (research project B-5-3), where Klaus Hallof and he take responsibility for the Database ICG. As spokesperson of research group (C-2) Space and Metaphor in Cognition, Language, and Texts he focuses on how Christian concepts of space are created through metaphor (research project C-2-1).
Together with Therese Fuhrer (FU) he erected the Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS) 2011 and as spokesperson (HU) he has since then been responsible for its operation. He is also member of the Board of Directors of the Berliner Antike-Kolleg.
- 27.6.2017TalkPart of: The Rise of Early Christianity in Greece and the Southern BalkansSpeaker
- 26.6.2017MeetingPart of: The Rise of Early Christianity in Greece and the Southern BalkansChair
- 26.6.2017TalkPart of: The Rise of Early Christianity in Greece and the Southern BalkansSpeaker
- 26.6.2017 - 27.6.2017WorkshopOrganiser
- 2.12.2016TalkPart of: Paths of Knowledge in AntiquitySpeaker
- 1.12.2016 - 2.12.2016ConferenceOrganiser
- 9.10.2015TalkPart of: Authority and Identity in Emerging Christianities in Asia Minor and GreeceSpeaker
- 8.10.2015TalkPart of: Authority and Identity in Emerging Christianities in Asia Minor and GreeceSpeaker
- 8.10.2015 - 9.10.2015ConferenceOrganiser
- 7.6.2014TalkPart of: Space and Metaphor in Cognition, Language and TextsSpeaker
- 6.6.2014 - 7.6.2014ConferenceOrganiser
- 13.12.2013 - 14.12.2013ConferenceOrganiser
- 8.11.2013 - 9.11.2013WorkshopOrganiser
- 27.9.2012TalkPart of: Topoi JahrestagungSpeaker
- 27.6.2008 - 28.6.2008WorkshopOrganiser
Dec 10-12, 2014 Lecture “Tracking Paul in Asia Minor. Luke on Paul the Travelling Missionary”
Part of: Fourth International Symposium of the Leuven Centre for the Study of the Gospels. Luke on Jesus, Paul and Christianity: What Did He Really Know?
Oct 6-7, 2014 Conference “Inter disciplinas — Interdisziplinarität als Chance und Problem in der Altertumswissenschaftlichen Forschung”
Oct 7, 2014 Workshop “Geschichte und Philologie”
Part of: Inter disciplinas — Interdisziplinarität als Chance und Problem in der Altertumswissenschaftlichen Forschung, München
Aug 25 – 26, 2014 Lecture “Biblical tradition and early Christian Identity in Lycaonia during the later Roman Empire”
Part of: International Conference on Writing and Textuality in Jewish and Christian Antiquity, Berlin
Oct 23-24, 2014 Lecture “Christian Prisoners: 5th and 6th century inscriptions from Corinth,”
Part of: International Conference on Perspectives on the socially disadvantaged in early Christianity, Bloemfontien, South Africa
Jul 4, 2013 Lecture “The [Metaphorical?] Use of LXX Texts on Jewish and Christian Monuments from Asia Minor”
Part of: International Conference on The Metaphorical Use of Language in Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature, Berlin, July 01.-04. 2013.
Aug 31, 2011 Lecture “PsalmsLXX and the Christian Definition of Space. Examples Based on Inscriptions from Central Asia Minor”
Part of: Conference on Text-Critical and Hermeneutical Studies in the Septuagint, Association for the Study of the Septuagint in South Africa, Stellenbosch, August 31. – September 02. 2011.
Jul 2010 Lecture “The Expansion of Christianity in Asia Minor: Christianity in Southern Lycaonia in the Third Century”
Part of: International conference Rise and Expansion of Christianity in the First Three Centuries C.E., Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2010.